Jamadhagni commanded his son Sage Parasuram to chop off the head of his
mother (his wife) Renukadevi as she wondered at the handsomeness of a
Gandharva in the reflection of water.
Obeying father, the son did it but got back the mother through the boon from father. For committing the sin of killing the mother, he worshipped Lord Shiva here for peace. Jamadhagni too repented here for his hasty decision. Lord Shiva granted darshan to both father and son. As Mother Mahalakshmi worshipped Lord Shiva here and was blessed, the Lord is praised as Mahalakshmeeswarar.
Aani Tirumanjanam in June-July; Shivrathri in
February-March and Tirukarthikai in November-December are the festivals
celebrated in the temple.
The temple is open from 6.00 a.m. to 11.00 a.m. and from 4.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
Mahalakshmeeswarar temple is a temple located in the village of
Tirunindriyur in the Nagapattinam district of Tamil Nadu. The temple is 1000 to 2000 years old and dedicated to Lord Shiva. Hymns on the temple
have been composed by the Nayanmars Campantar, Appar and Cuntarar.
This is the 19th Lord Shiva temple on the northern bank of Cauvery praised in Thevaram hymns.This is the choice of temple for the anusha starrer.
The temple has a 3 tier Rajagopuram. Lord Vinayaka in the temple is praised as Selva Ganapathy gracing in the prakara. Pujas are performed to Him on Anusha star day. Those facing debt burdens pray to Vinayaka for relief.
Muyalagan the symbol of ignorance under the feet of Lord Dakshinamurthy is on the left side with a serpent in his hand. There is shrine for Lord Muruga gracing with His consorts Valli and Deivanai on His peacock vehicle.
Amman / Thayar: Ulaganayaki
Thala Virutcham: Vilwa
- Do pray your Ishta Devata before pilgrimage to Temple.
- Do contact Temple Devasthanam information centre for enquiry, temple information and for Pooja details etc.
- Do reserve your travel and accommodation at Temple well in advance.
- Do bath and wear clean clothes before you enter the temple.
- Do concentrate on God and Goddess inside the temple.
- Do maintain silence and recite Om Namahsivaya or your Istamantram to yourself inside the temple.
- Do observe ancient custom and traditions while in Temple.
- Do respect religious sentiments at Temple.
- Do deposit your offerings in the hundi only.
- Do not come to Temple for any purpose other than worshipping of God and Goddess.
- Do not smoke at Temple.
- Do not consume alcoholic drinks at Temple.
- Do not eat non-vegetarian food in the Kshetram.
- Do not approach mediators for quick Darshanam. It may cause inconvenient to others.
- Do not carry any weapon inside the temple.
- Do not wear any head guards like helmets, caps, turbans and hats inside the temple premises.
- Do not perform Sastanga Pranama inside the Sanctum Sanctorum.
- Do not take much time while performing Sparsa Darshanam to God in Garbhagriha.
- Do not buy spurious prasadams from street vendors.
- Do not encourage beggars at Temple.
- Do not spit or create nuisance in the premises of the temple.